Feng Shui is a Chinese ancestral art. It symbolizes the flow of energy moving through your home. To get a Feng shui decor, it is necessary to establish a certain balance in your home, in order to accumulate good energies.
What is a Feng Shui decor?
According to Chinese ethics, the way that things are arranged in our homes have great influences on our way of life. As a result, the interior of your home needs to be organized in a very specific way to meet Feng Shui standards. Thus, each area of life (love, wealth, work ...) must be associated with a color, a shape or an element but it must also be oriented towards one of the cardinal points. In this article we deliver the 10 tips for a Feng Shui decor in your cosy little nest.
10 key important points
- 1. To allow the circulation of vital energy, you should not turn the back of any items towards the doors. In addition, this gives the impression of having much more space in your living rooms. This prevents bad vibes from dispersing and will also stimulate your creativity (if it is in your office). This will also give a relaxing, natural look to your living room.
- 2. For good Feng Shui, choose natural materials (wood, stone, slate, etc.) and linen, cotton and woolen fabrics for your bedding, as some examples. This kind of advice applies even more to your kitchen than to other rooms. So, move everything “hot” such as hotplates, microwaves, and ovens, away from the sink and the fridge.
- 3. We often tend to forget the importance of the entrance to the house. This very small passage which can seem too narrow for decoration. Yet, it is the room that gives the first impression in your home.
- 4. Straight lines and angles are not welcome in a Feng Shui interior, give preference to furniture with well-rounded shapes, such as oval tables.
- 5. Place your bed in the direction of the northeast, be sure to place it right up against the wall. Make sure the foot of the bed is well away from the front door.
- 6. Soft colors and subdued lighting in the bedrooms: give preference to cold colors such as gray, blue or mauve, compared to warm colors that are too aggressive. You can also create a contrast with light or satin shades for a harmonious effect.
- 7. Put a few drops of lavender essential oil on the pillow, it will soothe your sleep (see our article on good habits to adopt to sleep well), while a sandalwood candle will purify your atmosphere and chase away bad vibes.
- 8. A healthy mind in a healthy body. Throw away all the objects that you don’t need, mess and clutter generate negative vibes.
- 9. If the rooms are separated by a narrow, dark corridor in your house or apartment, the energy will circulate very badly there. To improve Feng-shui, consider installing a relatively bright light or decorations with sounds.
- 10. A mirror is an essential accessory. Avoid placing it in the bedroom or facing an entrance door.
For even more Feng Shui ideas, visit our Pinterest page for more inspirational décor ideas.